Tip Tuesday: 5 Ways to Love Forrest Yoga Abs
Tip Tuesday is a weekly feature where I offer a few yoga tips that have worked for me in the hopes that they can help you too.
I’ve found many of my students dread the abs part of class. So you might wonder how love and Forrest Yoga Abs can be in the same sentence that isn’t meant sarcastically. Believe it or not, you can find love in doing abs. ?Here are the top 10 ways to find love in Forrest Yoga Abs:
10. They help big-time with lower back pain
Ana Forrest designed the abs as a way to heal lower back pain. If you’ve ever seen some of the poses she does , you’ll see that they helped her do just that.
9. Abs are guaranteed to bring more aliveness to your body
I’ve yet to find the person who didn’t feel awake after a round or two of abs with a mat.
8. Let’s face it, it’s pretty darn cool to see some muscle definition in your abs
7. You’ll notice it helps you in other yoga poses
You use your abs in other yoga poses, especially inversions and arm balances, but there’s not a lot of traditional poses that specifically target the abs.
6. Stronger abs promote better posture
Abs are a great counter to “slump-asana.”
5. After doing Forrest Yoga for awhile, you’ll find the abs section in other classes to be a piece of cake
4. You’ll feel connections to your back, hips and thighs
When you connect into your center it’s pretty amazing to feel the pathways of connection to other parts of the body that awaken.
3. Abs help with digestion
As Ana would say, you start getting rid of your shit. Literally.
2. You may find peace with this area of the body
For a lot of the population, the belly is not a neutral place, nor a place we typically feel positive feelings about. If you’re uncomfortable with this area, you get to connect into it anyway and the feelings it might harbor.
1.You get connected to your power
The core is also the core of who we are. Cultivating a strong center in the body helps cultivate a strong center in the mind. Doing a few rounds of abs before doing something I’m really nervous about helps me walk into the situation with more confidence.